As I mentioned yesterday in my post " Food for the soul or food for the mouth", I prefer food for the soul, but that unfortunately is not enough, so here is a nice, warm "feel good" recipe for a meatball soup that I call "magic"!
Why magic? Because according to my kids, once you eat it, you feel better, no matter if you were sick or sad..:-)
Does it really work? Sure it does! It just need the right ingredients- a pinch of belief , a tablespoon of child emotion and cup of love!
"Magic Meatball soup"
For the meatballs:
1 lbs ground pork meat
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin ( or spring savory, whichever you prefer)
For the broth:
5 qt water
1/2 cup sliced, diced or string carrots
1/2 cup diced celery ( the stems)
1 cup diced red pepper
1 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup crushed canned tomatoes ( or 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, sliced)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup noodles
1 cup noodles
4 cups fresh baby spinach
1 fresh root daikon
1 cup diced spring onions
salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix the ground meat with the spices and make large as a plum meatballs. Set them aside.
* Note: if you regularly wet your hands with water the meat won't stick to them, so it would be easier to make the meatballs.
2. In a large cooking pan ( mine is 12 qt, but you can use 6 qt too) bring to a boil 5 qt of water.When the water is boiling add the meatballs one at a time. Cook for 15 minutes on medium.
3. When the meatballs are almost done, add the carrots, celery, green and red pepper and the tomatoes. Cook for 10 more minutes then add the mushrooms and noodles and cook for 10 more minutes.
4. Add the sliced daikon and the green onions and cook for 5 more minutes, then add the spinach and turn the stove off.
6. Garnish with lemon and cut spring onions, serve hot.