Sunday, September 20, 2009
The 30 min Ratatouille
I've promised to continue the tradition with the movie food, and while I am still making more cards and boxes for my next show ( 13 and 14th of Nov), I decided to catch up in the food corner, since I haven't published a lot of new things lately.
What can I publish, I was thinking? What would be a good " come back"? Something delicious, inspirational and easy?
Ratatouille is all times favorite food in our household, but the kids got hooked up even more, since we've seen the movie Ratatouille. What a better occasion to have something as inspired as Remy's Ratatouille- warm and homey, delicious, with great nutritional value, not expensive and last but not least- very easy and fast to prepare!
You can have an amazing meal in 30 minutes! And of course for a complete experience play the movie Ratatouille for your family!
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
For the Ratatouille you will need:
1 large eggplant
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 large white onion
2 cups baby Bella mushrooms
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sugar
10 min preparation of vegetables
20 min cooking
Total: 30 min
1. Wash and dice the eggplant, cut the zucchini in circles, dice the onion and cut in half the cherry tomatoes. Wash and dice the mushrooms.
2. In a large nonstick pan preheat 4 tbsp of olive oil. Saute the eggplant then add the onions. Sprinkle some black pepper and stir well.
3. When the eggplant looks soft add the zucchini, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle some salt to taste and some more black pepper.
4.Add the 2 tbsp of tomato paste and 1 tsp of sugar. Stir well, but be careful not to squish the ingredients! You don't want your Ratatouille a mush of vegetables! You want it to have character, to be able to see some circle of zucchini here, a half of tomato there. Be respectful to the food you prepare and be gentle!
As a final touch sprinkle some chopped fresh basil and stir again.
As I side dish I recommend steamed rice.
5 min preparation
20 min cooking
Total 25 min
* Note: if you work both dishes simultaneously, you can have both of them in 30 min.
For the steamed rice you will need:
1 cup white rice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 1/2 cups water
1. In a medium sauce pan with lid bring to a boil 2 1/2 cups of water.
2. Add the previously rinsed rice to the water, add the butter, salt and black pepper. Close the lid and simmer on LOW for 20 min without stirring!
3. Take the lid of and fluff with a fork. Serve warm.
Voila- you have the perfect steamed rice.
Arrange your rice and Ratatouille in a plate and serve garnished with fresh basil.
I have been asked so many questions about this recipe, that I decided I should repost it and update the instructions, hopefully you'...
One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my family making Luteniza. The whole family ( parents, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncle...
This is what has been keeping me from posting yesterday! You can see the recipe I use step by step here : Kozunaci ( Easter breads) the ...
I have been cooking for a while, 23 years to be exact and if there was one thing I've always been scared of, that is a pressure cooker...
- ► 2011 (12)
- ► 2010 (26)
- ▼ 2009 (32)
- ► 2008 (22)