I can't state for certain this is the original recipe, but I do have a very good palate and I've tasted very carefully the lettuce wraps we've been served, so I dare to say if my recipe is not the same, it is very, very close to the original.
You will need:
1 iceberg lettuce ( it's very important to be this kind!)
1 package rice noodles
5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 package ( 2 lbs) ground chicken ( or you can grind chicken breast yourself if you prefer)
3 tbsp olive( or sesame) oil
1 cup chopped white button mushrooms
1/2 cup minced onion ( preferably white)
5 cloves minced garlic
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp rice vinegar
4 tbsp ketchup
4 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
* I don't usually use salt, since the soy sauce is salty, but if you don't like soy sauce you can add salt to taste.
Preparation: 40 min
Serves : 14-15 (or more, depends on the scoop you place in a wrap)
- First fry the rice noodles in deep frying pan. Be careful not to burn them! They take just couple of seconds to become puffy and crispy, do not overcook them! The color you are aiming for is white!
- Mix together the brown sugar, water, rice vinegar, ketchup, tomato paste, soy sauce, powdered ginger and black pepper. Let it stay for 15 min or until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a frying pan stir fry the chicken with 3 tbsp sesame oil. When the chicken is ready add the onion and garlic. Stir until the onion reaches golden color. Add the mushrooms, stir fry until the liquid evaporates then add the Chinese cooking wine. Let the liquid evaporate again and add the tomato paste mixture. Stir a couple of times and let sauce thicken.
- Serve over cold iceberg lettuce leaves with a garnish of fried rice noodles.
It's very easy to prepare, it doesn't take a long time at all, despite of the many ingredients you use and it's great to serve at parties or enjoy with your better half at home.
Enjoy with a glass of cold white wine!